The Red Room
by H.G. Wells
The Old Woman Timeline and Summary
- The old woman is in the custodians’ quarters with the narrator and the man with the withered arm, staring into the fire.
- The old woman tells the narrator that at 28 he still has a lot to see.
- The old woman exclaims twice "this night of all nights!" at intervals in the conversation between the narrator and the man with the withered arm.
- The next morning, the narrator finds the old woman taking care of him.
- When the narrator announces that the red room is indeed haunted, the old woman wants to know if the countess haunts it.