The Red Wheelbarrow
The Red Wheelbarrow Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- Do you hear a voice in this poem? What kind of voice is it?
- Why doesn't Williams capitalize his letters?
- Why doesn't Williams use punctuation in this poem?
- Do you like the way this poem is composed of couplets (two-lined stanzas)?
- What depends upon a red wheelbarrow?
- If you were to set this poem to a piece of music, what would it be (and why)?
- If you were to create a short video about this poem, what would it be like?
- If you heard someone say, "so much depends upon a red wheelbarrow glazed with rainwater beside the white chickens" (and, let's say, you had never heard of this poem before), would you automatically know she was reciting a poem, or would you think she was simply making conversation about a wheelbarrow?
- Paint this poem.
- Research wheelbarrows. Who invented them? Why are they cool?