The Return of the Native
by Thomas Hardy
The Return of the Native Book 1, Chapter 4 Summary
The Halt on the Turnpike Road
- Olly and Mrs. Yeobright walk and talk and we get the lowdown on the Thomasin situation.
- Basically Wildeve is kind of a playboy and Mrs. Yeobright therefore does not approve of him.
- Suddenly the reddleman comes up the road.
- He tells Mrs. Yeobright that he has Thomasin in his van. She came up to him crying earlier that day and said she needed a ride home.
- The reddleman's name is Diggory Venn, and he used to be pals with Thomasin.
- Mrs. Yeobright is very concerned and she goes to wake Thomasin.
- Thomasin is very upset but she manages to pull herself together enough to get out of Venn's van and send him on his way.
- Her aunt demands to know what the heck is going on.
- Thomasin is so grounded.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...