The Return of the Native Book 3, Chapter 1 Summary
"My Mind to Me a Kingdom Is"
- Hardy gives us a detailed description of Clym Yeobright, similar to the one we got of Eustacia back in Book 1, Chapter 7.
- In a nutshell, Clym is handsome and looks like he belongs to the future.
- Clym was the local golden boy of whom great things were expected.
- He went to Paris and was successful, but now he's returned home and doesn't plan to leave.
- The Egdon residents are confused and concerned about their golden boy.
- Clym comes upon a group of them getting their weekly haircut from the local amateur barber.
- Maybe Clym plans to open up a salon?
- Nope, he plans to open up a school. The townsfolk are less-than-impressed with his crazy ideas and think he should go back to Paris.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...