The Return of the Native
The Return of the Native Book 3, Chapter 4 Summary
An Hour of Bliss and Many Hours of Sadness
- After studying all day, Clym heads out to the heath to watch an eclipse. And to meet Eustacia, of course.
- The two of them make out for a bit and talk about their true love.
- Eustacia is worried about Mrs. Yeobright not liking her, and Clym tries to reassure her.
- Then Eustacia starts asking Clym about Paris.
- Clym sounds bored by this line of conversation; it seems that Eustacia never shuts up about Paris.
- The two discuss their marriage plans at length and Eustacia agrees to marry Clym right away if he'll promise to bring her back to Paris.
- Clym isn't enthused by this idea, and Eustacia says she doesn't care if he goes to Paris, she'll marry him anyway.
- It's like these two are having two separate conversations, but they somehow manage to finalize their engagement.
- After Eustacia leaves, Clym starts to worry that they're rushing into marriage and that she only loves him because of his ties to Paris.
- He also worries about his strained relationship with his mother.