The Return of the Native Book 3, Chapter 6 Summary
Yeobright Goes, and the Breach Is Complete
- Clym leaves home and goes to set up his new digs.
- He walks to his cottage.
- It's a rainy, ominous day. Is Hardy giving us a hint here?
- Clym then goes back home to get his things, which is really awkward.
- He also announces that he'll be getting married on the 25th.
- Mrs. Yeobright says she doesn't plan to visit, and Clym leaves.
- We stay with Mrs. Yeobright, who's depressed but hides it by being angry.
- Thomasin swings by to ask for some advice – she needs some money and Damon won't give her any.
- Mrs. Yeobright tells her to quit being a doormat and ask for some.
- She worries about how Damon is treating Thomasin.
- Then she tells Thomasin that she'll give her the inheritance early.
- The two women discuss Clym and Thomasin tries to convince her aunt to give him a chance.
- She reassures her aunt that Clym doesn't hate her and she tries to get her aunt to speak to Clym.
- But Mrs. Yeobright refuses.
- We cut over to Wildeve, who's busy gossiping with a local.
- Wildeve learns that Eustacia is engaged to Clym and Wildeve is shocked.
- He then decides that he's really in love with Eustacia after all. Drama.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...