The Return of the Native Book 3, Chapter 7 Summary
The Morning and the Evening of a Day
- It's the day of the wedding and Mrs. Yeobright is wandering around her house by herself, being super emo.
- She hears the church bells ringing in the distance and knows that Clym is married. She reacts to this like the apocalypse is imminent.
- Then Wildeve stops by. This is the worst day ever for Mrs. Yeobright.
- Wildeve says he's here to pick up a package for Thomasin. He's referring to the inheritance money that Mrs. Yeobright planned to give Thomasin that day.
- Thomasin attended Clym and Eustacia's wedding instead of coming over to see her aunt.
- Mrs. Yeobright tells Wildeve the package isn't important and she can just give it to Thomasin later. Wildeve is suspicious, but says OK.
- He leaves and Mrs. Yeobright tries to figure out how to get the money to her niece, who needs it ASAP.
- While pondering this, Mrs. Yeobright decides to give her son his inheritance as a wedding gift.
- So she gets Christian Cantle to deliver the money directly to Thomasin and her son.
- Christian says sure and he heads out in the dark with two bags filled with money.
- We hope there aren't muggers lurking about the heath...
- Christian runs into Fairway and some other guys, who are heading over to a raffle (gambling game).
- Christian gets peer pressured into going and he ends up gambling with the others at the Quiet Woman Inn.
- This probably won't end well.
- But Christian actually wins some money.
- Wildeve chats with Christian, who hints that he has a special delivery of major cash for Thomasin.
- Christian heads off with his bags of money and Wildeve follows him.
- Wildeve tries to convince Christian to give him the money. Christian won't because of Mrs. Yeobright's instructions.
- Then Wildeve convinces Christian to gamble some more since he was so lucky earlier.
- Wildeve tells Christian all sorts of great stories about people winning tons of money by gambling.
- Dim-witted as he is, Christian falls for this super obvious manipulation.
- The two gamble and Damon wins all of the money from Christian, who stupidly started using the Yeobrights' money to keep playing.
- Christian is horrified and runs off and Damon just laughs.
- But then Diggory appears. The plot thickens.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...