The Return of the Native
by Thomas Hardy
The Return of the Native Book 4, Chapter 5 Summary
The Journey across the Heath
- It's August and it's a super hot day.
- Mrs. Yeobright sets out in the heat to visit her son and her daughter-in-law.
- She's hot and exhausted and the walk is very long.
- She comes across a fellow furze-cutter who directs her to Clym's house.
- Mrs. Yeobright follows a familiar-looking figure and is stunned to discover that it's her son and that he is a furze-cutter.
- She sits down for a bit to think things over.
- We get lots of descriptions of the hot day and the heath, which makes us want some lemonade.
- Mrs. Yeobright continues to watch the house and think deep thoughts.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...