The Return of the Native
by Thomas Hardy
The Return of the Native Book 4, Chapter 7 Summary
The Tragic Meeting of Two Old Friends
- Back at Casa Clym, Clym has woken up from his nap. Turns out, he was dreaming about his mother.
- Eustacia is feeling very guilty and keeps her mouth shut. She acts very awkward.
- Clym finally decides to just go to his mother's house himself to make amends.
- Eustacia tries to convince him not to go but drops the subject when he insists on going.
- So Clym sets out across the heath.
- Suddenly, Clym comes across a figure lying on the heath. It's dark now and he can't see who it is right away.
- But as he gets closer he realizes it's his mom.
- Clym picks her up in a panic and rushes toward the cottages occupied by locals like Fairway and Sam and Humphrey.
- The locals all come to help Mrs. Yeobright and Sam realizes that she's been bitten by a poisonous snake.
- They send for a doctor and try some local remedies to cure her and to get the poison out of her.
- Clym anxiously waits to see if his mom will get better.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...