The Return of the Native
by Thomas Hardy
The Return of the Native Book 5, Chapter 8 Summary
Rain, Darkness, and Anxious Wanderers
- Clym is sitting at home alone, waiting for Eustacia to come back to him after reading his letter.
- But Thomasin arrives with her baby instead and has bad news – her husband has gone out and she's afraid that he's going to run off with Eustacia.
- Clym says he'll go after Eustacia and tells Thomasin to just stay put with the baby since the rain is getting worse.
- Before Clym can leave, Captain Vye arrives.
- He's looking for Eustacia too and is very worried.
- Captain Vye's paternal instincts finally kick in and he lets Clym have it for his bad behavior.
- He also tells Clym that Eustacia was feeling suicidal recently and Clym flips out.
- Captain Vye goes home to wait for Eustacia while Clym goes out to search for her.
- But Thomasin starts feeling too anxious after they leave and she bundles her baby up again and goes out in the storm to find her husband.
- Thomasin comes upon Diggory Venn and fills him in on the manhunt action.
- Diggory asks if she was wandering around earlier, crying, and Thomasin says no.
- Diggory can't figure out who it was (we can!) and agrees to help Thomasin and her baby get home safely.
- Suddenly, Diggory and Thomasin see something awful up ahead. Cliffhanger!
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...