The Return of the Native
The Return of the Native Book 5, Chapter 9 Summary
Sights and Sounds Draw the Wanderers Together
- But first, flashback time. Damon has seen Eustacia's signal on the hill and goes to get ready.
- He's excited about their plans and is feeling good about his chance of getting Eustacia to be his mistress.
- So Damon sets off across the heath but instead of meeting Eustacia he meets Clym.
- The two meet by a pond, which has turned into a whirlpool with all the rain.
- The two then hear a splash and see a body floating.
- It's Eustacia!
- The two guys jump into the floodwater to save her.
- Diggory has also arrived and hops in the pool, but he has enough sense to hang on to something.
- After some tense moments, others arrive at the scene and they manage to fish out the three bodies.
- Thomasin is horrified.
- Clym is still alive but Eustacia and Damon are both dead.
- The group speculate as to whether or not Eustacia and Damon were planning to run away together.
- Charley arrives and asks Diggory if he can see Eustacia.
- Clym comes down and says they can all go look at Eustacia. He's practically a zombie at this point.
- The group go in and stare at the two dead people.
- Clym goes on a renewed guilt-fest times a thousand.