The Return of the Native
by Thomas Hardy
Thomasin Yeobright Timeline and Summary
- Thomasin arrives home in disgrace after eloping with Damon Wildeve but failing to actually get married.
- She gets a ride home from Diggory Venn, who loves her. Back in the day, Thomasin turned down his marriage proposal.
- Thomasin's aunt is upset with her and the two women go visit Damon to work out the situation.
- Damon is a punk but Thomasin remains committed to him.
- Time passes and Damon makes no move to get married.
- Thomasin lives with her aunt and is socially disgraced.
- She keeps her disgraced status a secret from her cousin Clym, who has recently arrived home, for as long as she possibly can.
- Finally, after getting dumped again by his ex-girlfriend, Damon re-proposes to Thomasin and the two get married.
- Thomasin remains on good terms with her cousin and his new wife, Eustacia, even after their falling-out with Mrs. Yeobright.
- Thomasin gets pregnant and gives birth to a baby girl named Eustacia Clementine.
- She grows increasingly suspicious of her husband and his relationship with Eustacia.
- Thomasin also tries to comfort Clym after Mrs. Yeobright's death.
- Finally Thomasin comes to Clym, telling him that Eustacia and Damon are running off together.
- She goes out to help find them and witnesses the drowning of her husband and Eustacia.
- After a while, Thomasin grows closer to Diggory Venn.
- The two eventually marry, and Thomasin and her baby daughter move to Diggory's dairy farm.