The Return of the King
by J.R.R. Tolkien
Frodo Baggins Timeline and Summary
- Sam rescues Frodo from the orcs at Cirith Ungol.
- Frodo exposes how much he has been affected by the Ring by almost attacking Sam to get it back.
- As the Ring continues to torture Frodo, he begins to lose his memories of the Shire.
- Frodo and Sam put on orc clothing to try and blend in a bit more with their surroundings.
- A passing slave driver mistakes the two of them for small orcs and forces them to march with his company.
- Eventually, the orc company gets into a squabble with a second orc company and Frodo and Sam escape in the commotion.
- But Frodo is now completely spent: he no longer has the strength to wear orc armor or anything so heavy.
- Frodo and Sam crawl together up the sides of Mount Doom.
- When Frodo can go no further, Sam carries him.
- Suddenly, Gollum attacks Frodo and Sam in a last, desperate effort to get the Ring.
- Frodo fights back with renewed strength to protect the Ring.
- Sam takes over the battle with Gollum, leaving Frodo free to reach Sammath Naur (the cavern at the center of Mount Doom).
- After Sam defeats Gollum, he goes into Sammath Naur to find Frodo standing at the edge of a precipice.
- Frodo claims the Ring for himself.
- Gollum leaps on Frodo a second time and bites his finger off.
- Gollum falls with the Ring into the volcano, and Frodo's soul is saved.
- Frodo and Sam are rescued from Mount Doom by Gandalf and the Eagles.
- Frodo recovers at the Fields of Cormallen and in Minas Tirith.
- Arwen offers Frodo her place on the elf ship sailing to the West in the next year.
- Frodo, Sam, Merry, and Pippin return to the Shire.
- Frodo finds Saruman living at Bag End.
- Even though Saruman tries to stab Frodo, Frodo does not want him to be killed. Frodo's strong sense of mercy persists.
- Frodo takes back Bag End and helps to reconstruct the Shire.
- But his heart is clearly not in it: he suffers from illness and he can't get over the Ring quest.
- So when the time comes for that ship to sail into the West with Gandalf, Elrond, Galadriel, and even Bilbo, Frodo decides to join them.
- He makes Sam his official heir and leaves Middle-earth.