Sam Gamgee Timeline and Summary
- Sam uses the Ring to sneak quietly into the orc tower at Cirith Ungol.
- He gets lucky: the two hundred orcs garrisoning the tower have all killed each other fighting over Frodo's mithril coat.
- Sam rescues Frodo from the remaining orc, Snaga, who is guarding Frodo's cell, and the two of them disguise themselves in orc clothing and head out into Mordor.
- Sam must encourage his master to keep going every step of the way. He can see just how much the Ring is weighing on Frodo.
- When they reach Mount Doom, Sam must carry Frodo on his back up the side of the mountain.
- When Gollum attacks the two of them, Sam fights him back, but ultimately decides not to kill Gollum, since he feels sorry for the poor guy.
- After the Ring has fallen into the fire along with Gollum, Sam and Frodo are rescued by the Eagles and Gollum.
- Sam wakes up in the Field of Cormallen to find Frodo more or less intact, along with all of their friends—including Gandalf, whom Sam thought was dead. He is thrilled.
- Sam goes back to the Shire with Frodo, Merry, and Pippin.
- There, he finds Rosie Cotton waiting for him (swoon).
- But he also discovers that his father has been made homeless and Frodo's old place at Bag End has been trashed (groan).
- After the Scouring of the Shire, Sam participates actively in replanting and rebuilding.
- He places Galadriel's mallorn-tree nut where Bilbo's Party Tree used to be.
- Sam marries Rosie and moves into Bag End.
- He and Rosie have Elanor, their first child.
- Frodo asks Sam to accompany him on a two-week journey, and poor Sam doesn't realize that this will be the last journey.
- It is only when they reach the Grey Havens that Sam realizes that Frodo is leaving Bag End and Middle-earth forever.
- Sam says goodbye to his beloved master and then returns to his home in the Shire.
Previous Page: Frodo Baggins