Book of Revelation Chapter 11 Summary
Two Candlesticks Walk Down to the Earth…
- Another voice tells John that two witnesses are going to go out into the world—two candlesticks to be exact. (If you remember from Chapter 1, these guys represent the church.)
- So the candlesticks go down to Earth, but then a beast comes up from the bottomless pit and attacks them.
- Candlesticks don't stand much of a chance against a hideous beast from a bottomless pit, so it kills them.
- Their bodies lie in the streets of Jerusalem while all the non-believers gloat and rejoice. You see, they didn't much like those pesky candlesticks and are pretty glad to see them gone. Good riddance, right?
- But, the people push their luck a little by refusing to bury them and throwing a huge party to celebrate the fact that they're dead.
- And are they? Of course not! After three and a half days, the candlesticks get right back up and start living again.
- The people, naturally, freak out.
- Then, the candlesticks fly up into Heaven and let loose a huge earthquake. Seven thousand people are killed, but the rest, wisely, repent and put their faith in Jesus. Finally, some people are catching on.
Lucky Number Seven
- Finally, the seventh angel goes ahead and blows his trumpet.
- John hears voices announcing that God's reign on Earth has begun. Time to crack open the champagne.
- The 24 elders start to worship God and let everyone know that it's almost time to start judging some people. The faithful are going to be rewarded big time (You get a crown! You get a crown!), but non-believers… well, just wait and see.
- Then, God's temple up in Heaven opens and everyone can see inside and there's thunder and lightning and hail. It's a total mad house up there.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...