Book of Revelation Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- Why would God want to reveal something? Isn't God by nature mysterious? Why this specific revelation? And why now? (Or why then?)
- Can you spot the shout-outs to the Hebrew Bible in Revelation? Hint: there are a ton of them. Compare and contrast the Jesus of the gospels with the Jesus of Revelation. Are they different? Why?
- Think about all the descriptions from Revelation—why does everyone in Heaven and Hell look so weird? Is violence ever justified? What if you're the Supreme Ruler of the Universe?
- What does Revelation have in common with the Book of Daniel?
- Why is God so into being worshipped?
- If Jesus had a message for you (like he did for the seven churches in Asia), what do you think it would say? What would he praise you for? What might he have some suggestions for improving?
- What's with all the numbers? We talks about sevens and 666 in the "Symbols" section, but what about the others? 12? 144,000? 24? 10? Why do you think God chose John for this revelation? What's special about him in particular?
- Revelation has a fair amount of symbolic ladies. Compare and contrast the roles of Jezebel and the Whore of Babylon to the Woman Clothed with the Sun and the Bride of Christ. How does John talk about them differently?
- Why do God and Jesus have so many titles? How does this speak to their different roles?
- Are there good judgments and bad judgments? Who makes the good judgments? Who makes the bad ones?
- Why is Revelation a letter? If you were God, who would you reveal your deepest, darkest mysteries to?
- Does Revelation change how you feel about Jesus? God? Christianity?
- Do you have any predictions for who the Beast might be? Please justify your answer through poorly-executed numerology.
- What do you think of Revelation? Does it freak you out? Does it make you feel inspired and hopeful?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...