Cite This Page
John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster Timeline and Summary
- 1.1: At King Richard's court, Gaunt tries to calm down his son when Henry Bolingbroke accuses Mowbray of being a traitor.
- 1.2: Gaunt tells the Duchess of Gloucester he can't avenge her husband's (his brother's) death because the king is the one who ordered it.
- 1.3 Gaunt blesses his son Henry as he's about to fight Mowbray at the trial by combat.
- 1.3 Gaunt is totally bummed when Richard banishes Henry from the kingdom. He regrets advising him to do so.
- 1.3 Gaunt comforts his son and wishes him well. He tells him to pretend he's on a quest for honor, and that he shouldn't think the king banished him but that he banished the king.
- 2.1 Gaunt is very sick. In fact, he's at death's door and he knows it. He tells his brother York that he plans to give King Richard a piece of his mind.
- 2.1 Gaunt delivers a famous speech about how awesome England used to be until Richard ran it into the ground. (It's too bad Richard doesn't get a chance to hear it.)
- 2.1: Gaunt tells Richard he's a lousy king and that he should change his ways. Richard blows him off.
- 2.1 Gaunt exits and dies offstage.