Rikki-Tikki-Tavi from The Jungle Book
Rikki-Tikki-Tavi from The Jungle Book Paragraphs 87-104 Summary
- Rikki-tikki smashes two of the eggs and keeps the third as a hostage.
- Meanwhile, stuff is going down at the veranda.
- Nagaina is poised to strike Teddy, while the father orders his son not to move.
- Rikki-tikki shows up and demands that Nagaina fight him. She's not interested at first since she has the upper hand.
- But when she learns that the mongoose has her last child/ egg, she changes her mind right quick.
- Nagaina lunges for the egg, and the father pulls Teddy in close.
- Rikki-tikki is ready for an all-out fight, but Nagaina swears that she'll leave and never come back.
- In a modern story, this would be the point when the hero lets his guard down and the villain uses the opportunity to attack.
- Apparently not in the nineteenth century. Rikki-tikki just drives the point home that he's going to kill her.
- They fight. Nagaina manages to circle around and grab hold of the egg.
- She breaks for her den with Rikki-tikki going hot pursuit mode.
- Darzee's wife flaps into Nagaina's face, purchasing Rikki-tikki the time he needs to bite her tail.
- Nagaina drags Rikki-tikki into her den.
- Uh-oh. This is Not Good, and Darzee agrees. He begins to prepare a mourning song for the mongoose warrior.
- But wait! Rikki-tikki pops out of the den, proclaiming his victory.
- And then he falls asleep right then and there.