Rikki-Tikki-Tavi from The Jungle Book
by Rudyard Kipling
Rikki-tikki-tavi Timeline and Summary
- Rikki-tikki almost drowns in a summer storm.
- Instead of dying and making this short story a super short story, Rikki-tikki is saved by a British family and nursed back to health.
- The next day, he explores the garden and encounters Nag and Nagaina, two cobras who don't much like the idea of a snake killer in their garden.
- As if two cobras weren't enough, Rikki-tikki also has to save the British boy Teddy from a common krait snake.
- That night, Nag attempts to kill the British family in their sleep, and Rikki-tikki decides he'll have none of that.
- The mongoose and cobra do battle. The mongoose wins.
- The next day, Rikki-tikki decides he might as well kill Nagaina, too, seeing as she's going to be upset anyway.
- He gets Darzee to give him directions to the cobra's nest and has Mrs. Darzee distract Nagaina for him.
- Rikki-tikki goes baby killer on all the eggs, save one.
- Nagaina threatens Teddy, and Rikki-tikki tricks her away from the boy by taking that one egg hostage.
- They fight, but Nagaina manages to snatch up the egg and escape to her den.
- Rikki-tikki follows the cobra into her den, where there's presumably an epic battle we don't get to read about.
- He emerges from the den all victorious and gallant.
- From that day on, Rikki-tikki serves as protector of the garden.