Romance Sonambulo Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- What is so important about the color green? What do you think of when you think of that color? What does the speaker associate with it?
- Who do you think the gypsy girl is? Is she a real person? Or is she meant to represent an abstract idea? Is she some sort of metaphor?
- What do you think is meant when the speaker's friend says, "I am not I / nor is my house now my house"?
- What is the importance of the sea, and water in general, to this poem? Why does the speaker mention it so much?
- Why is so much of the imagery in this poem violent? What does violence have to do with desire? Do you think it has something to do with the historical context in which Lorca was writing?
- Is it worth the blood and tears for the speaker to make this climb, even though he never actually reaches the balcony?
- Do you think that wanting something can be more important than actually getting something you want? Why or why not? What do you think the speaker would say?
- What might the speaker have in common with the ship on the sea, or the horse on the mountain?