The Scarlet Ibis
by James Hurst
Brother Timeline and Summary
- When Doodle is born, when Brother is six, he isn't what Brother expects or desires.
- He wants a brother who'll be able to join him in rigorous, athletic play.
- When Brother learns that Doodle might not have limited brain function, on top of having physical disabilities, he decides to kill him.
- Luckily, Doodle smiles at him and Brother realizes that Doodle is an intelligent baby.
- When Doodle learns to crawl Brother changes his name from William Armstrong to Doodle.
- From the time Doodle is two Brother takes him everywhere.
- When Doodle turns five, Brother decides to teach Doodle to walk.
- Brother succeeds but feels ashamed because his reasons for teaching Doodle are selfish.
- After that Doodle's parents decide he's ready to go to school.
- Brother decides that Doodle needs to swim, run, row a boat, and other enormous physical feats.
- Brother notices the physical strain Doodle is experiencing, but keeps on pushing.
- After watching Doodle bury the scarlet ibis, Brother takes him to Horsehead Landing and forces him to overexert himself.
- He's angry because he thinks he failed to adequately prepare Doodle for school.
- Doodle becomes the focus of this anger, and Brother leaves him alone in the rain.
- When his anger cools, and he turns back, he finds Doodle dead.