The Scarlet Ibis
William "Doodle" Armstrong Timeline and Summary
- When Doodle is born most people think he won't live very long.
- Two months pass and he's still alive, so his parents name him.
- The name they chose is William Armstrong.
- At two-years-old Doodle learns to crawl and talk.
- Then he starts hanging out with Brother all the time, enjoying nature.
- When he's five Brother helps him learn to walk.
- On his sixth birthday, he shows the family his new skill.
- He and Brother seem to really be enjoying each other's company and they spend lots of time at Old Woman Swamp.
- Brother has decided teach Doodle how to run, swim, and be athletic, in preparation for his upcoming entrance into school.
- He accepts the challenge but it proves to be too much.
- On the Saturday before school starts, he finds a scarlet ibis in a tree in the family yard.
- The ibis dies before his eyes, and he buries.
- After this, he and Brother go to Horsehead Landing.
- He's tired but Brother makes him row the boat and then run in the rain.
- Brother is mad at him and he runs away from him in the storm.
- When Brother turns around, he finds Doodle dead, with blood streaming from his mouth.