The Scarlet Letter
The Scarlet Letter Chapter 21 Summary
The New England Holiday
- The new Governor is going to take office, and it's party time for everyone.
- Even Hester comes into town. Like always, she doesn't give much away—but there just might be a teeny little expression of freedom on her face.
- Most people wouldn't notice a gorilla wandering onto a basketball court, so they sure don't notice Hester's expression.
- But Pearl does.
- Knowing something's up, she's acting wild—but she calms down enough to say that she's a strange, sad man if he'll greet them only at night or in the forest.
- Hester shushes her and tells her to notice how happy everybody is around them, celebrating Election Sunday (i.e., a day of both religious and civil thanksgiving).
- This is essentially the one day of the year that the Puritans seem like all other communities.
- The commander of the Bristol ship comes to talk to Hester. BTW, he says, there's going to be another passenger from your town.
- Three guesses?
- Okay, fine, we'll tell you.
- It's Chillingworth, obviously.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search