A Separate Peace
by John Knowles
Elwin Lepellier Timeline and Summary
- Leper is with the boys when they jump from the tree the first time; he declines to join them.
- When Leper does finally decide to do a jump, Gene and Phineas come with him to the tree. They climb first to do their double jump, which is when Finny falls and breaks his leg.
- When the normal school year starts in September, Leper and his collection of snails have moved to a different dorm.
- When Gene heads off to help clear snow from the railroad tracks, he bumps into Leper, who is cross-country skiing and looking for a beaver dam.
- When he boys come back from clearing the railroad tracks, Brinker makes fun of Leper for being a naturalist.
- In awe of the ski troops he sees on a recruiting video, Leper joins the army.
- Back at Devon, the boys imagine Leper's participation in all the biggest war goings-on.
- Leper sends a telegram to Gene saying that he's escaped, is hiding out at "Christmas location," and needs help at once. He signs it "Your best friend."
- Gene discovers that Leper has gone mad. It's also clear that Leper believes Gene responsible for Finny's accident. He describes a variety of his psychotic visions, all having to do with odd transformations.
- Leper comes back to Devon and is seen hiding in the shrubbery about campus.
- He is called as a witness during Brinker's assembly hall "investigation." He gives the truth in a round-about way and finally stops himself, calling Brinker a bastard and refusing to answer any more questions.