When authors refer to other great works, people, and events, it’s usually not accidental. Put on your super-sleuth hat and figure out why.
Literary and Philosophical References
- A Study in Scarlet, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Bohemia.1.3; Valley.22)
- James Boswell, chronicler of the life of Samuel Johnson (Bohemia.1.37)
- Gustave Flaubert, French author (League.216)
- George Sand, French author (League.216)
- Hafiz, Iranian mystic and poet (Identity.136)
- Horace, Roman poet (Identity.136)
- George Meredith, British novelist (Valley.116)
- (William) Clark Russell, Anglo-American writer of nautical novels (Orange.3)
- The Sign of Four, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Orange.111)
- Confessions of an English Opium Eater, Thomas de Quincey (Twisted.1)
- Arabian Nights (Bachelor.178)
Pop Culture References
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...