The Shining Chapter 19 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- Danny is looking at the door of Room 217, remembering Halloran's warning.
- He thinks it looks like a totally normal door and is not impressed. He isn't quite sure why he's outside 217.
- Before he got here, outside of 217, his mom made him lunch, and then said she wanted to take a rest. She said he might like playing near the hedge animals, but he remembered Halloran's warning.
- Then he was thinking of the passkey in his dad's office. He knew he shouldn't take it.
- Then he found himself in front of 217, his hand on the doorknob. He doesn't know how long he's been here.
- When he puts his hand in his pocket he finds the passkey. He puts the key in the door. A combination of his promise to Halloran and a little bit of fear stop him from turning the key.
- He runs away around the corner. Then he sees the scary old-fashioned fire extinguisher. The nozzle and hose of it falls off, and Danny is scared. He tells himself the thing is just old.
- He wants to run but the hose blocks his way. He's afraid it's going to bite him like a snake, or be full of wasps. He jumps over it and it chases him, hissing. When he gets to the stairs he looks back and the hose is right there where it had fallen.
- He runs down to the first floor.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search