The Shining Chapter 22 Summary
How It All Goes Down
In the Truck
- "Bad Moon Rising" by Creedence Clearwater Revival is playing on the radio as Danny and Wendy drive to Sidewinder in the hotel's old truck. The DJ comes on and says the weather will get severe tonight, and people should stay in.
- Wendy asks Danny if he's worried about staying at the Overlook. She suggests that Jack would be happier away from it. Danny says Jack would definitely not be happier away from it. He's afraid he won't be able to get a job if he leaves the hotel.
- Wendy says that if Danny thinks it's best, they could leave the Overlook and rejoin Jack in the spring. Danny looks excited until Wendy says they'd have to spend the winter at her mother's. He tells her he knows her mother makes her feel bad. He doesn't want to go there.
- She asks Danny if Jack is drinking, and he tells her he isn't.
- Wendy feels trapped between two equally terrible options.
- She asks Danny to try to get Tony to come. He says he tried this morning and it didn't work. He starts sobbing. He begs Wendy not to go to her mother's. He wants to stay here with Jack. She says OK, and tells him that "everything will be fine" (22.190).
Next Page: Chapter 23
Previous Page: Chapter 21