by Stephen King
The Shining Chapter 53 Summary
How It All Goes Down
Halloran Laid Low
- When Wendy is about to go into the quarters (with Jack pursuing her) Halloran gets to the snowmobile. He wants the gas can.
- The hedge lion is still smacking him around.
- He gets the gas can, and starts throwing gas on the lion.
- The lion doesn't like it, and keeps coming for Halloran.
- Gas sloshes on his arm, wetting his coat and mitten. He gets his lighter out of his pocket, and when the lion attacks again, he flicks the lighter.
- His mitten catches on fire. The hedge lion is backing off some, and Halloran hits it with his flaming mitten.
- When the lion retreats, Halloran puts out the fire on his hand and arm in the snow.
- Holding the gas can, he manages to get back on the snowmobile and put it in motion.
- He gets to the Overlook's gate, unlocks it, and manages to open it.
- Now he sees that the rest of the hedge animals are in on the action – barring the entrance and exit of the hotel.
- Jack hears Halloran's impending arrival when he's in the quarters, outside the bathroom Wendy has locked herself into.
- He can finish with Wendy later, but now he must deal with Halloran.
- Halloran takes the snowmobile all the way to the porch and jumps to it just as he feels a hedgy scratch.
- He enters the hotel and calls out for Danny.
- He sees blood and torn cloth on the stairs.
- Fearing he's too late, he runs up the stairs to the caretaker's quarters.
- Jack is "hiding in the elevator" (53.41). He follows Halloran up the stairs and hits him with the mallet, first in the head, then in the face.
- Now, Jack is looking for Danny.
- Jack takes the elevator to the third floor where he's sure Danny is hiding.
- He calls out to him. He says, "Danny, come here a minute will you? You've done something wrong and I want you to come and take your medicine like a man" (53.60).
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...