The Shining Chapter 56 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- The events of the next bit of time would always be a bit hazy for Halloran.
- He knows the elevator goes down to the basement, he but doesn't try to look inside.
- He knows that Danny appears on the stairs soon after, and he knows Wendy embraces her son.
- Danny shines him a warning that the Overlook is about to blow.
- Halloran picks up Wendy in one arm and Danny in the other. He runs with them down the stairs to try to get to the lobby.
- Meanwhile, the Jack-thing is in the basement, trying to release pressure from the boiler before it blows up.
- Halloran makes it through the lobby doors with Wendy and Danny under his arms. He carries them off the porch, and the three of them watch the hotel burst into flames.
- Finally, "the party [is] over" (56.42).
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...