by Herman Hesse
Vasudeva Timeline and Summary
- Vasudeva gives Siddhartha, who has just left the Samanas, a ride across the river and shelter overnight. They discuss the beauty and voice of the river and Vasudeva says he is sure they will meet again.
- After abandoning his life as a wealthy merchant, Siddhartha seeks out Vasudeva and asks to live with him and learn about the river.
- Vasudeva rarely speaks, but he’s a great listener.
- Vasudeva and Siddhartha work and listen to the river together. Vasudeva listens to Siddhartha’s revelations about the river.
- Vasudeva discovers Kamala injured on the riverbank. He brings her and her son back to his hut and helps Siddhartha to tend to Kamala.
- The following morning, Vasudeva and Siddhartha construct a funeral pyre.
- Seeing that Siddhartha’s son is unhappy, Vasudeva advises Siddhartha to let the boy leave and return to the city.
- After Siddhartha’s son steals their boat and runs away, Vasudeva helps Siddhartha build a raft to retrieve the boat. He allows Siddhartha to leave in search of the boy.
- Vasudeva finds Siddhartha in the town near Kamala’s garden and brings him home.
- One evening, Vasudeva brings Siddhartha out to the river and says there is still one thing Siddhartha needs to hear from the river.
- Siddhartha hears the voices of the river as a single, timeless continuum and reaches enlightenment.
- Having completed his task of guiding Siddhartha, Vasudeva goes into the woods and enters Nirvana.