by George Eliot
Silas Marner Timeline and Summary
- Silas lives in Lantern-Yard. He's happy and respected.
- After staying up all night with a dying deacon, Silas is accused of stealing the deacon's money. Bummer.
- The group finds Silas guilty and kicks him out—but not before he figures out that the last person to have his knife, which was found in the dead man's drawer, was his former best friend, William Dane.
- After moving to Raveloe, Silas weaves alone in his cottage for fifteen years.
- One night, Silas goes out to buy some thread. When he returns home, his money has been stolen. Major bummer.
- Silas understandably sinks into a deep depression.
- On New Year's Eve, Silas is standing at the door in a trance when a little girl toddles into the cottage.
- He adopts the little girl and names her Eppie. Eppie brings happiness and joy to his life.
- Silas and Eppie to try to track down his old friends up north, but Lantern-Yard is gone.
- After returning from the city, Silas accepts that Raveloe is his home.