by Kurt Vonnegut
Slaughterhouse-Five Chapter 4, Section 18 Summary
- One of the better American bodies belongs to a high school teacher from Indiana named Edgar Derby.
- Derby is in Weary's car when Weary dies.
- He is old enough to have a son in the war as well.
- Derby's son will survive the war, but Derby will be killed by a firing squad in 68 days.
- The worst body is not Billy's. It belongs to a car thief from Illinois named Paul Lazzaro.
- Lazzaro has promised a dying Weary that he will find some way to get revenge on Billy for Weary's death.
- Lazzaro looks at all the naked American soldiers and wonders which one is Billy.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...