Slaughterhouse-Five Chapter 5, Section 55 Summary
- During Billy's morphine-addled night in the prison hospital, the English officers bring in another American soldier.
- The American is Paul Lazzaro, the Illinois car thief, whose arm has been broken by an Englishman whose cigarettes he tried to steal.
- The Englishman Lazzaro tried to rob played Cinderella's Blue Fairy Godmother in the play they put on to welcome the Americans.
- The Blue Fairy Godmother is carrying Lazzaro's upper body; the British colonel who gave Billy his morphine is carrying his feet.
- The two men agree that the Americans seem like a pathetic bunch.
- A German army major comes by the hospital to apologize to the Englishmen for having to put up with the Americans.
- He promises the English (whom he likes very much) that the Americans are going to be shipped off to Dresden in a couple days.
- The German major is carrying an essay written by an American turned Nazi about the behavior of American prisoners of war.
- The author of this (fictional) essay is named Howard W. Campbell, Jr., and he will hang himself at the end of the war.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...