Slaughterhouse-Five Chapter 5, Section 55 Summary
- During Billy's morphine-addled night in the prison hospital, the English officers bring in another American soldier.
- The American is Paul Lazzaro, the Illinois car thief, whose arm has been broken by an Englishman whose cigarettes he tried to steal.
- The Englishman Lazzaro tried to rob played Cinderella's Blue Fairy Godmother in the play they put on to welcome the Americans.
- The Blue Fairy Godmother is carrying Lazzaro's upper body; the British colonel who gave Billy his morphine is carrying his feet.
- The two men agree that the Americans seem like a pathetic bunch.
- A German army major comes by the hospital to apologize to the Englishmen for having to put up with the Americans.
- He promises the English (whom he likes very much) that the Americans are going to be shipped off to Dresden in a couple days.
- The German major is carrying an essay written by an American turned Nazi about the behavior of American prisoners of war.
- The author of this (fictional) essay is named Howard W. Campbell, Jr., and he will hang himself at the end of the war.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search