Cite This Page
Slaughterhouse-Five Chapter 8, Section 22 Summary Page 1
- Billy thinks about the barbershop quartet and why it worries him so much.
- He remembers (he does not travel in time, he remembers) the night Dresden was destroyed.
- He and the Americans and four of their guards are sheltering in the meat locker, which is deep, cool, and safe.
- Outside people are being killed all around them: the other guards and their families, the refugee girls, everyone in the neighborhood.
- It isn't safe for them to leave their shelter until noon the next day.
- When they come out, they see that the sky is black with smoke and the stones themselves are still hot.