Slaughterhouse-Five Chapter 9, Section 4 Summary
- Billy is muttering in his sleep, reliving his memories of the War.
- Lily whispers to Rumfoord that Billy scares her.
- Rumfoord replies that he finds Billy boring: all he does in his sleep is surrender and apologize and ask to be left alone.
- Rumfoord is a hyper-masculine, super-rich, all-around successful guy. He finds Billy utterly pathetic.
- Rumfoord then asks Lily if she has read President Harry Truman's announcement of the atomic bombing of Hiroshima in August 1945.
- Lily sits down and pretends to read it.
- The novel then quotes from Truman's announcement, which gives the reasons why Truman feels the atomic bomb is both necessary and scientifically remarkable.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search