by Kurt Vonnegut
Slaughterhouse-Five Chapter 9, Section 6 Summary
- Later that day, Barbara Pilgrim comes to visit Billy in the hospital.
- She has been given some tranquilizers to help keep her functional in the wake of her father's injury and her mother's death.
- She looks glassy-eyed, like Edgar Derby before the firing squad shot him.
- Robert Pilgrim is flying back from Vietnam.
- Barbara speaks to Billy, but he can't hear her: he is in 1958, examining the vision of a boy with Down's syndrome.