Soliloquy of the Spanish Cloister
by Robert Browning
Soliloquy of the Spanish Cloister Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- Why does the speaker hate Brother Lawrence so much?
- Why is it important that Brother Lawrence is an avid gardener? How would the poem be different if he had a different hobby, like music or painting?
- How would you characterize the speaker's attitude toward religion?
- What is the effect of all the guttural sounds – the "g-r-r-r" and the "Whew!" of lines 1, 17, and 72?
- Why does the speaker use so many parenthetical asides (like lines 24 and 32)?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...