Something Wicked This Way Comes
Something Wicked This Way Comes Chapter 14 Summary
- Dad's voice repeats: "Three," and Will is afraid.
- The scene shifts to Charles sitting on his bed pondering the significance of three in the morning. He concludes that this time of the night is "living death."
- Charles's wife stirs and calls his name, but does not wake up. She smiles in her sleep while Charles removes his shoes.
- Charles feels remote from Will; he imagines that his wife could never feel this detachment from their son, since she is the one who actually gave birth to him.
- Charles muses that, because women can become pregnant, they are similar to clocks – capable of shaping eternity. This, he concludes, is what leaves men sleepless in the night.
- Charles's wife stirs and asks if he is all right. Charles does not answer.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...