Something Wicked This Way Comes
Something Wicked This Way Comes Chapter 21 Summary
- There is an old-fashioned boardwalk in the alley behind Will and Jim's houses. Over the years, the two boys had tuned the boardwalk so as to be able to play different tunes. (They tuned the different planks to play different notes. Stepping on different planks in succession would play a song.) Each tune would indicate the evening's adventure.
- Tonight, Will has waited patiently for Jim to play a tune on the boardwalk. But it is now 10:30, and he's heard nothing yet.
- Finally, the music begins. Will hears an old funeral dirge.
- Will raises his window. Across the way, Jim's window also goes up. It turns out that no tune was actually playing after all.
- Jim goes down the drainpipe of his house. Will stays silent and feels betrayed, as Jim is clearly leaving without his friend.
- At last, Will scurries down the trellis and trails secretly after his friend all the way to Miss Foley's house.