Something Wicked This Way Comes
by Ray Bradbury
Something Wicked This Way Comes Chapter 24 Summary
- Will and Jim huddle into a phone booth. They call the police and an ambulance.
- When help arrives, the boys lead two police officers and two medical interns to the body.
- There is no body.
- Lights come on in the Freak Tent. The group walks in to a room where four freaks are playing cards.
- The now very old Mr. Cooger has been strapped into an electric chair.
- Will recognizes the Dwarf as Tom Fury – the lightning-rod salesman.
- Meanwhile, Monsieur Guillotine and the Dust Witch practice their acts.
- The policemen relax; this isn't so bad, they think – just a carnival act.
- Mr. Dark welcomes the group, inviting them to witness one of their new acts.
- The policemen try to ask about the boys' concerns, but Mr. Dark dismisses the boys as children. He introduces Mr. Cooger as the new act "Mr. Electrico."
- Mr. Cooger looks dead. Mr. Dark shocks his body with one hundred thousand electric volts.
- The interns and policemen try to step forward, but Mr. Dark warns them away.
- The old man gets fried with electricity and comes alive. One eyelid peels open.
- The freaks inhale and exhale in time with Mr. Electrico.
- The policemen laugh. Jim and Will squirm in discomfort.
- Mr. Electrico welcomes everyone and gives a slow stuttering speech.
- Mr. Dark ushers the policemen and interns out. He gives Will and Jim free passes to the carnival, but asks for their names. Both boys lie.
- Mr. Dark invites the boys back. They bolt for the exit. The police follow, laughing. The interns follow, sober.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...