Something Wicked This Way Comes
by Ray Bradbury
Something Wicked This Way Comes Chapter 43 Summary
- Mr. Dark looms above the boys.
- The hand with Jim's face on it grabs Jim. The hand with Will's hand on it grabs Will.
- The boys scream and fight.
- Mr. Halloway steps onto the scene. Mr. Dark tucks both boys under one arm. Mr. Halloway lays one punch before Mr. Dark uses his free hand to seize Charles's left hand and squeeze. Mr. Halloway falls to his knees and damns Mr. Dark.
- Mr. Dark has the perfect comeback: "But I am already." (Zing!)
- Mr. Halloway's finger bones crack. He falls unconscious.
- Mr. Dark moves through the stacks and then drops the boys to face the window. Across the avenue, Will's mother and Jim's mother are walking home from church.
- Will screams for his mother but is cut off by Mr. Dark's hand.
- Will's mother turns around for a moment but then goes on her way.
- Mr. Dark goes to open the front door. The Dust Witch is there with the Dwarf as her sidekick.
- She curses the boys so they cannot speak, cannot hear, cannot see, and cannot move.
- Mr. Dark directs her to stop "the janitor's clock." She looks pleased.
- Mr. Dark directs the boys down the library steps. They are escorted by the Dwarf.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...