Something Wicked This Way Comes Chapter 44 Summary
- Charles Halloway lies on the floor in pain. The Dust Witch is hunting him down.
- Finally Charles cannot stand it anymore and calls to her. She hurries to his side and begins whispering directions to his heart: "Slow, very slow" (44.20).
- Charles is acquiescent until, for some reason, he opens his eyes and looks at the witch. He giggles.
- The witch flinches. Charles giggles some more as he realizes that life is essentially meaningless. Nothing matters. He laughs at the Witch. She staggers back as Charles lets the joke wash over him.
- He asks the Witch to stop tickling him. She keeps trying to slow his heart.
- Finally she is beaten by Charles's laugh. She flees down the library stairs.
- Charles calms himself down and tries to think rationally about what just happened.
- He plans to pick up some aspirin for the pain and then head out into town.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...