The Sound and the Fury
Cite This Page
Benjy Compson Timeline and Summary
- Benjy waits for Caddy by the gate.
- He watches as Caddy muddies her drawers.
- On the same night, he watches as Caddy climbs up into a tree to watch Damuddy’s funeral. Caddy comes down from the tree smelling like trees.
- Benjy is told that his name is no longer Maury – it’s Benjy.
- He listens as Caddy and Dilsey discuss his name change.
- Benjy goes with Caddy to deliver a letter from Uncle Maury to Mrs. Patterson.
- Later, he tries to deliver a letter on his own. Mr. Patterson catches him.
- Mrs. Patterson gets angry at Benjy and sends him away in a rage.
- When Benjy returns home, Uncle Maury hits him.
- Caddy uses perfume, and Benjy notices that she doesn’t smell like trees anymore.
- He gets upset, pushing her and screaming.
- Realizing why Benjy’s upset, Caddy gives her perfume to Dilsey.
- Benjy finds Caddy in the swing with a boy.
- He starts to bellow; the boy makes fun of him. Caddy runs away with Benjy, angry that the boy was mocking Benjy.
- She promises Benjy that she’ll wash her mouth out with soap and never kiss boys again.
- Benjy has to sleep all by himself. He’s been told that he’s too old to sleep with Caddy.
- He starts bellowing; Caddy comes in and sleeps with him.
- Benjy drinks sassprilluh at Caddy’s wedding.
- The world starts to spin, which makes him really, really unhappy.
- Quentin comes in and finds him, then gets angry at T.P. for getting Benjy drunk.
- Caddy leaves.
- Benjy runs along the gate every day, waiting for Caddy to come home.
- One day, he finds the gate open just as a group of girls walks past.
- The girls come up to him, thinking the gate is closed.
- He reaches out to them, "trying to say."
- The girls freak out. Benjy is castrated as a result.
- Benjy sees Miss Quentin down at the swing with the man in the red tie.
- He thinks she might be Caddy.
- Quentin gets furious and lashes out at Dilsey for allowing Benjy out.
- Benjy and Luster search for Luster’s missing quarter by the golf course.
- Whenever Benjy hears the word "caddie," he begins to moan.
- Dilsey takes Benjy to church.
- At church, people talk about a white man being in a black church. Dilsey tells Frony to ignore them.
- Benjy and Mrs. Compson get ready to go to the graveyard to visit Quentin and Mr. Compson.
- Mrs. Compson decides not to go; Luster drives Benjy alone.
- Luster decides to have some fun: he whips the horse and starts trotting towards the town center.
- Once they get to the center of town, Luster takes the carriage the wrong way.
- See, Benjy’s used to the carriage moving clockwise around the square.
- Today, though, it goes counter-clockwise.
- Benjy freaks out.
- He stands up in the carriage and begins to bellow.
- Jason sees the carriage and comes running over. He’s furious at Luster.
- Jason turns the carriage around.
- As soon as it’s going the "right" way, Benjy calms down.
- He watches the shapes flowing in the same order that they always do.