The Spanish-American War
Discussion & Essay Questions
Available to teachers only as part of the Teaching the Spanish-American WarTeacher Pass
Teaching the Spanish-American War Teacher Pass includes:
- Assignments & Activities
- Reading Quizzes
- Current Events & Pop Culture articles
- Discussion & Essay Questions
- Challenges & Opportunities
- Related Readings in Literature & History
Sample of Discussion & Essay Questions
- Why did expansion and foreign intervention seem the logical next step for Americans?
- How was this linked to America's historic values?
- Why did the US intervene in Cuba?
- Do you support this sort of use of American troops?
- If yes, for what reasons?
- Ideological? Strategic? Humanitarian?
- Are there geographic limits to where the US should intervene in these sorts of conflicts?
- If no, why not?
- Are American interests served by allowing a European nation to control a neighbor this close?
- Was the Platt Amendment an extension or violation of America's original reasons for entering Cuba?
- Was the American annexation of the Philippines an extension or violation of America's reasons for going to war against Spain?