by Laurie Halse Anderson
Speak Chapter 19 Summary
- Mom and Dad say Melinda is "too old to go trick or treating" (19.1).
- Melinda is quite happy about this. She won't have to reveal her shame to her parents: nobody has invited her to go. But, she pretends to be upset and goes to her room.
- She watches the trick or treaters from her bedroom window.
- The year before, Melinda's group (the Plane Janes) all went as witches. They looked awesome and got oodles of candy. That night they tried to see their futures in a mirror at Ivy's house.
- She knows Rachel is partying at some exchange student's house, and that she won't be asked to that party, or any others.
- It's OK though – Melinda has plans. She'll be reading Dracula by Bram Stoker.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...