by Laurie Halse Anderson
Speak Chapter 63 Summary
- Since she can't face the bus after school, Melinda pays a visit to her closet.
- She greets her Maya Angelou poster, her cubist tree, and her turkey bone exhibit.
- It's still hard for Melinda to get any rest at home, for some reason, but she drifts easily into nap mode once safely inside the closet.
- She wakes up when she hears girls yelling, "Be Aggressive, BE-BE, Aggressive! B-E-A-G-G-R-E-S-S-I-V-E!" (63.1).
- At first, Melinda thinks she's lost her marbles, but then realizes that she's hearing the basketball game.
- It's almost 9 pm. She better run!
- She gets to the gym; the sound of all that excitement makes her stop and peek in.
- The Merryweather Hornets have won! Even Melinda gets excited and claps happily.
- Suddenly, David Petrakis sees her and runs over to her. He seems thrilled to see her.
- He invites her to come with him for pizza with his dad. Melinda says no, offering lame excuses.
- David doesn't look offended and says he'll see her at school next week.
- Now there are two Melindas, and they are arguing with each other.
- The first Melinda argues that having pizza with David is totally safe. David would never try to hurt her, and his dad would be there. She needs to have some fun.
- The second Melinda is on the lookout for possible predators. She tells the first Melinda that nothing is safe, and nobody can be trusted.
- If Melinda gets rid of both of them, would there be any Melinda left?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...