Speak Chapter 64 Summary
A Night to Remember
- Melinda listens to the radio in her room after the basketball game, but sleep does not come.
- She goes up to the porch on her roof and watches the moon and sky.
- Last summer, Rachel arranged for them to go to the end-of-summer party held by some cheerleaders.
- Rachel's brother Jimmy drives them to the party; Rachel's mom thinks they are going to the skating rink.
- The party is at a farm a few miles from where Melinda lives.
- Melinda starts drinking beer, which tastes gross. After about three beers, she feels the urge to vomit, so she walks out toward the woods.
- This really cute senior starts flirting with her. The senior asks her to dance, and she accepts. It feels so good.
- She wonders where Rachel is and wants to see her.
- Soon, the senior kisses Melinda.
- It feels good.
- She's happy because she'll already have a boyfriend when she begins high school.
- Somehow, Melinda and the senior are on the ground now.
- He asks her if she wants to have sex.
- It's not quite clear whether Melinda says "no," or not. She doesn't want to, but she's having trouble getting the words out.
- The senior is pressing his heavy body on her; she feels like she's suffocating.
- He has his lips on hers very hard. She can't believe what's happening. She wants to scream for him to stop.
- He reeks of beer.
- The senior hurts her very badly and then leaves her, smiling.
- Melinda isn't sure how she got from there to the phone, but next thing you know, she is calling 911.
- Somebody takes the phone from Melinda and listens to see who she's talking to. This person realizes she's called the police and alerts the other partiers.
- Rachel looks really mad at Melinda. Somebody smacks Melinda in the face.
- Melinda leaves the party and walks home, before the cops come.
- (End flashback.)
- Melinda bites through her lip as she remembers that night, and she sees her blood dripping on the snow. She needs stitches in her lip.
- She doesn't like winter. There's too much winter in Syracuse.
- This chapter ends with Melinda's report card.
- She has Fs in Social Life, Cloths, Social Studies, and Algebra. She has Ds in Lunch, Biology, English, Spanish, and Gym. She has an A in Art.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...