by Laurie Halse Anderson
Speak Chapter 76 Summary
- Melinda feels like she needs to stay home from school and pamper herself with ice cream and nail polish, so she plans ahead.
- That night, she doesn't eat, and in the morning she blackens her eyes with makeup.
- She's surprised when Mom takes her temperature. She actually has a fever.
- When she tells Mom she's feels sick, Mom says, "You must be sick. You're talking" (75.6).
- Mom realizes this isn't a nice thing to say. She apologizes and says, "It's nice to hear your voice" (75.8).
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...