by Laurie Halse Anderson
Speak Chapter 79 Summary
- It's tennis time in Ms. Connors's gym class. Melinda knows how to play because Mom and Dad got her lessons two years ago. She didn't take many classes, though, because it was pretty expensive.
- Ms. Connors has Melinda and Nicole play against each other. The match gets heated. Melinda gives Nicole a run for her money.
- Toward the end, Melinda faults. After that, Melinda's game gets hot.
- Nicole does win, but only by several points.
- Melinda realizes that she has the strength and drive needed to win at tennis. Maybe she can play with Dad.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...