Speak Chapter 8 Summary
- Melinda thinks gym class should be outlawed.
- Her locker is right next to Heather's. Heather wears an undershirt and leaves it on when she changes.
- Nicole is the only other person in gym who Melinda knows. Nicole changes clothes in front of everybody, not caring who sees her naked.
- Melinda thinks, "If you're [as strong as Nicole], you don't care if people make comments about your boobs or rear end" (8.3).
- September is coming to a close, which means it's field hockey time in gym class. Field hockey means mud.
- Nicole is awesome at field hockey and all other sports. Teachers love Nicole. She's going places. If Nicole wasn't actually a nice person, it would be easy for Melinda to "hate her" (8.7).
- But Nicole is a nice person.
- (It's not really clear at this point whether Nicole isn't speaking to Melinda, or whether she's just so absorbed in sports that she's forgotten about her.)
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search